Monday 18 June 2018

Can You Run Outlook 2000 On Windows 8?

We have seen that Outlook Mail 2000 which is the email program from Microsoft works on Windows 7. And it also works on Windows Vista and Windows XP and you can send and get emails with it.
But will it work on Windows 8? That is the question.



I tested both Microsoft Office 2000 and Outlook Mail on my Windows 8 computer.
I am running Windows 8 32 bit and I found Outlook does open and run but I could not set it up for web mail.

To get the Outlook Address Book to open on Windows 8 you need to follow the steps as for Windows 7.

See Set Up Outlook 2000 On Windows 7.


Once Outlook is installed go to C/Programs/Common Files/System folder on Windows 8.

Then copy both the  WAB32.DLL and WAB32 RES.DLL and paste both  dlls in the C/Windows/System32 folder.


When you set up Outlook for the first time it will ask you for the Microsoft Office CD. Then you can choose to set it up for either Internet Mail. Which is if you want to send email from your web mail accounts like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. Or Corporate Mode for the Microsoft Exchange Server if you want to just send email from one computer to another computer on your network.


First time set up with Outlook 2000 on Windows 8.




Well I have tried it on my Windows 8 and I found that it does not work at all with web mail.
When I try to set it up for web mail Outlook won't open it crashes.
But when I set it up as Corporate Mode it does run and I can browse my exchange folders and email profiles I have set up. But I have not been able to send any email s though this could be because I do not have a Microsoft Exchange Account or server.




Here Is Outlook 2000 on Windows 8 with the Office Assistant of course.




Outlook Mail 2000 on Windows 8.



However I was able to use the Calendar that comes with Outlook and the Outlook Address book also works. But that is all I can do. I cannot send emails.

So the short answer to can I run Outlook in Windows 8 is NO. At least not to send emails but you can view your email contacts and export them to other email programs like Windows Mail or Thunderbird. But I have not been able to get Outlook 2000 to work on Windows 8.
There may be a fix for this but I have not found one.

Another thing is, if you want to change the mode from Internet Mail for corporate Mode in Outlook 2k. It will again ask you to insert your MS Office CD which is a pain.
But still Outlook 2000 is a very old program but it does work on all Windows except for Windows 8 and above.


Also if you have Microsoft Mail Post Office installed you can view and edit all of your Outlook profiles from the Mail Icon in Control Panel. As shown here and set up and administer a post office.

For more about Microsoft Exchange see here which can explain it better than I can.

Wikipedia.





Outlook Calendar on Windows 8 with the doggy.





Outlook Profiles on Windows 8 are displayed when you click the Mail icon (marked in red.)



The Post Office icon (marked in red) displays the Post Office profiles on Windows 8. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.