Wednesday 18 October 2017

Get Back Outlook Express On Windows 7 And 8.

If you have used Windows XP before moving to Windows 7 you will remember Outlook Express. That's the email client that was bundled with Windows XP and also the versions of Windows that came before XP.

But was dropped in Windows Vista and replaced with Windows Mail.
Through it is possible to get Windows Mail working again on both Windows 7 and 8 this was not the case with Outlook Express. At least I had thought not.

Until now that is. When I came across this post on a website which the author of the website Wicky Hue explained that Outlook Express can run on Windows 7 and 8.
with the help of a program called Detours, which lets you edit the dll files so that they are compatible with Windows 7.




And it also enables you to extract the Outlook Express program files from Windows XP then transfer them onto Windows 7 or 8. Then run protected storage so that you can set up your emails.
Then to get the stationary which come with OE go to your programs folder on Windows XP.Then go to Microsoft common files where the stationary folder is. Then drop it in the same folder on Windows 7/8. If there is no such folder then create one.

As editing the dll files is too complicated for me I just download the program files that the author has provided on his website and I now have Outlook Express working on my Windows 8 and it also works on Windows 7. But I could not get it to run on Windows Vista for some reason.

But it works fine on  all of the later versions of Windows and as you can see in my pictures of my computer, OE is working on my Windows 8.


So if you miss the old Outlook Express on Windows 7 and 8 you can now get it back.

Many thanks to Wicky Hue for making this possible and sharing with us.

His post and files are on his website here:




Windows 8 with Outlook Express.


Outlook Express running on Windows 8.


See also my video which shows Outlook Express in action on Windows 8.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.