Sunday 30 June 2019

How To Rename The Network Icon On Windows 7.

This also works on Windows Vista, Windows 8 and 8.1. I am not sure about Windows 10 because I am not using that.

On Windows XP and earlier versions of Windows you can rename the Network Icon which was My Network Places in Windows XP or Network Neighborhood in Windows 98 to any name you wanted.
Microsoft for same reason disabled this feature in Windows Vista and later Windows. But this feature is not removed and there is a way to get it back with a simple registry edit



I was searching online and I found a post on a Windows forum, Eight Forums from a member called Butters who explains how to do this. I tried it for myself and it worked.

You need to navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder

You first need to take ownership of this key.
The easiest way to do this is to install a software called Registry Take Ownership.

After you have taken ownership of the ShellFolder key, double click on the Attributes value on the right pane.


Then change the 'Value Data' box from b0040064 to b0040070

Close the Registry Editor. Then restart your computer.

NetworkiIcon can now be renamed and as you can see in the pictures on Windows 7 I am now able to rename the network icon in Windows Explorer on Windows 7. I have renamed it My Network Places as it is on Windows XP but you can call it any name you wish and change the name as many times as you want.


Rename Option Of Network Icon On Windows 7.


New Network Icon Name In Windows Explorer On Windows 7.


This also works in Windows Vista and Windows 8 and 8.1.

See also my video on how to do this.







Many thanks to member Butters for sharing this with us.
See Source:
Eight Forums.


Registry Take Ownership can be downloaded from here:
Winaero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.